I wrote a post recently with some criticisms that I wish I heard made more of Christians. I wrote them all in an overly positive fashion (you are too generous) rather than the realistic negatively phrases idea (you are reckless with your money and don’t have enough for your kids because you gave it all to that junkie who wasted it ….)
Anyone Charlotte left a comment that made me think about the criticism people said of and to Jesus.
[Confession time, I started this straight after the last post but delayed posting it so I could collect more examples and verses for it. In the mean time Frank Viola posted the same idea! AND included some criticisms of Paul as well! So you should probably take a look at his more comprehensive list]
Criticisms of Jesus
- You are healing on the Sabbath
- You are working on the Sabbath (Grabbing grain from a field is work right?!)
- You are claiming to be God (that’s blasphemy!)
- You are forgiving people’s sins (only God can do that! That’s Blasphemy!)
- You are a drunk and a glutton
- You heal using the devils power
- Your friends are the worst people there are (prostitutes, tax collectors, working class fishermen, etc)
- You don’t keep the law of Moses (aka the bible)
So how do you stack up to that list of criticism?
- When was the last time someone had a go at you for healing (at all) or about how you did it (it’s just hypnosis/a placebo effect)
- When have people criticised you for the people you hang out with?
Or when was the last time people…(Actually, If you’ve been on the internet any time then I’m sure some other Christian has criticised you for not respecting the bible so maybe this one is a given.)
What does this mean to me?
I’d guess there are a couple of things we should take out of this,
If they criticised Jesus, the son of God, they will criticise you
Some people know you are bad, doing bad and are causing all sorts of problems in the world. They don’t care if there is any evidence to the contrary and will keep hounding you. Nothing you can say, do or show them will be enough. Online they are known as trolls
If people aren’t criticising you there is something wrong.
I’m sure you know the famous quote by Winston Churchill
You have enemies? good. That means you’ve stood up for something in your life.
This doesn’t mean you should ignore your critics, This doesn’t mean there won’t be some or complete truth in their criticism but if people aren’t criticising you then you must be doing nothing!
What people criticise you for can show a lot about them but also about yourself. If you are only hearing the first set of criticisms that I talked about in my last post then something is wrong. If you are being criticised for doing good things, healing people, loving people, being a friend to the friendless, then you are walking as Jesus walked.
That’s not to say you won’t get criticised for bad things too (rightly or wrongly) but it shouldn’t be an either or.