I’ve been taking this site a little more seriously recently and as such I’ve been going back through the archives and cleaning up my old posts so I can get the most out of old blog content. Even though some of those old blog posts are terrible (no truly terrible) they have been great to reread and I have found 18 ways to get the most out of your old blog content.
This has lead to me reading some of the old post from this site (there are over 300 posts somehow!) and noticing a few common trends.
- my writing has improved a lot (seriously…spelling and grammar.)
- I wrote some pretty good old blog posts
- what I write about has changed a lot over time
- I did nothing for SEO when I started
Seriously, none of my initial posts have any SEO going on at all. That’s not to say they weren’t focused but elements like the meta description, images and the layout really didn’t help the site perform well in search engines. That’s not necessarily bad but it problem held those posts back from being discovered.
At the same time it’s been great reading some of these old post and seeing where I was those years ago and where I have come. Sometimes it’s felt like I was going the wrong way, but in the end even those “wrong ways” have shaped me.
18 ways you can get the most out of your old blog posts
- brush up the SEO (use Yoast and follow its tips)
- link your old posts to newer posts on the same topic/theme
- link new posts back to your old posts
- clean up and grammar or spelling mistakes
- clean up any formatting (especially if you have changed blog theme)
- write an update, correcting things you now know better
- write an update discussing new technology or changes that affect the topic
- write a post focusing on one aspect of a larger post (zoom in)
- write a post looking at a previous post in context (zoom out)
- share a good old post on social media
- write a new comment on an old post, see if anyone who was following the old post replies
- add an image to a post which didn’t have one
- share a quote from an old post on social media with a link to the post
- change the format of an old post (make a video/audio/infographic for the post)
- interview an expert on the same topic
- make a how to guide to a think piece
- make a think piece to a how to guide
- write about your progress or challenge implementing an idea
Clean up your old blog posts
If you have been blogging for a while, I really recommend going back over some of your oldest posts and updating them a bit. Your old blog post are a great source of inspiration for your current self and they can be a useful tool for the whole blog. Just because you might have moved on, doesn’t mean they aren’t useful for you and other people. Give it a go.
Do you have any tips for getting the most out of your old content?