Last weekend I set myself a challenge. It was one that I had come up with the previous week and saw an opportunity to take with the school holiday the previous week and coming week. That challenge was to start a daily podcast (Monday to Friday) Called Droid Today
There were a few reasons for this, I’ve been dying to start a new podcast and had a few false starts in the past year. I’ve recorded demo episodes, had ideas, tried to get guest on board etc. But in the end I finally decided to dive in and go all out with a daily android podcast called “Droid Today” I blame the churchm.ag podcast on podcasting for this
The idea was to do a daily podcast (Monday to Friday), for a month, on Android news and associated topics on slow news days. The show would be limited to only 22 or so minutes to keep it short.
Here are a few quick thoughts on what I’ve learnt so far.
- I regretted the idea on day two (I woke up with another 19+ episodes to make before it could end)
- I expected fireworks or nothing. It’s been neither.
- Episode one took me two days to get ready.
- Since episode 2 it’s taken me about an hour for each one.
- Getting to the end of week one felt Incredible! Knowing I had met my challenge was a big reward.
- I doubt I’m going to meet my targets
- I’m going to push to the end anyway
- I suspect I’ll keep podcasting afterwards but I’m not sure that it will be daily or about Android.
- It’s fun to be doing something other than writing, it doesn’t feel as draining
- getting a cough while you are recording is INCREDIBLY annoying.
I’m sure there are more points I could make but in general I think I’d round it up as.
It’s not the best idea. It feels AWESOME to be doing something even if it isn’t going to be successful. I’m sure I’ll carry on with something afterwards.
I suspect this is partially because I’ve set such clear checkpoints and targets as well as limits so I can either walk away or carry on and not feel bad about either. Perhaps this could benefit you?
Are you doing any new challenges? Maybe there is an idea you’ve wanted to do but not quiet worked out. Perhaps you should just go for it and see what happens.