The Problem with Too much street photography informationI’m sure that when it comes to photography, there is a certain amount of advice which really helps people improve their photos a lot. This includes things like the basics of exposure, the controls of your camera, principles of compositions and how to conduct yourself on the street. However, after those basics there is a deep well of extra information and if you want to really dive deep into composition, you can. But it starts to become more academic than actually about taking photos. Furthermore, some people will just repeat the same lessons. That’s because there are certain principles which work in most situations and when they don’t work, there might not be a good rule of thumb or principles to consider. If you keep listening to those principles it’s not bad, but if you aren’t putting them into practice, does it really matter that you are listening to them?
Why the learning curve matters
Why the Paretto Principle mattersThe Paretto principle compliments the learning curve as it says that 80% of your reward comes from 20% of your effort, and if you work on a key 20%, you’ll see an 80% improvement. This was original noticed in farming crops but it’s been seen in a wide range of areas including clients for a business (20% of the clientele bring in 80% of profits) and politics (20% of voters influence the outcome of an election more than the other 80%). In street photography I’d consider certain paretto principles to include
- overcome your fear
- get close with a wider angle lens
- focus on the background
- notice the light
- try getting low or going high for a different perspective
Hypocrite much?As someone who’s written a fair bit about street photography, including some tips and trick, you may well want to call me a hypocrite here for adding to the information overload. Well, that may be the case. I hope it’s not and I try and write things that no one else could do but it’s impossible to be completely original. I’ve also reduce what I write recently and I try to avoid repeating myself. But my main reason for writing this site has always been to help myself by sharing my learning journey and hopefully help others as well so that they can avoid my mistakes.
What’s better than too much street photography information?There are three things that are better than obsessive over reviews, guides and tips once you’ve reached a certain point.
- taking photos
- taking photos with other photographers (so you can see through their eyes)
- looking at good photos