I don’t know about you but sometimes I can go through a whole day without noticing God. In fact, I sometimes forget to even pray, read my bible and, at best, speak about him not to him.
However, a few weeks back my girlfriend (encouraged by here sister) suggested asking the question at the end of the day:
“Where was God today?”
At first, I felt strange as I could think of one or two moments at best, but then things started to change.
- I found it easier to remember moments with God during the day.
- I felt God’s presence more in ordinary moments during the day.
- I searched for God’s presence more during the day.
- I was encouraged to pray more.
- I shared these moments with my housemate and girlfriend and it prompted us to notice other moments we perhaps hadn’t appreciated.
It was great! So, I thought I’d encourage you to try it too.
Now I don’t have the best memory and if I left things to chance I would almost certainly forget (in fact, that’s exactly what happened for the first week). Instead I put a reminder on my phone at a time in knew I would usually be with my housemate so we could chat about it.
So try it yourself. Set a reminder for a time you and someone else can talk about it with someone and see how things change over time.
Having someone else to talk through things with definitely improves the experience and writing down these moments can help too so that you have a record of God in your live during the good and bad times to look back on.
P.s. Why not listen to this song by Tim Hughes as a prayer before you start this journey? It’s called “Everything” and focuses on seeing God in every moment of our lives.